Many ect 48 systems were shipped to the customer with the USB port disabled. This was done because the enabled USB port could interfere with the Windows 98 operating system shutting down properly. For more information on this subject, see Shut Down Problems in the ect 48 Support – Windows Operating System section of this web site.
There are two conditions where the USB Port could be Disabled. The USB driver is installed but the Port is disabled or the driver is not installed. This procedure will cover both conditions.
I. The USB driver is installed but the Port is disabled
Left click the Start Menu to open the Menu List.
Left click on the Settings Item
Left click on Control Panel
In the Control Panel Find the System Icon and double left click to open System Properties
Left click on the Device Manager Tab
Locate the Universal Serial Bus controller
Left click on the “+” to view the Host controller and USB Root Hub
When there is a red X across the USB Host Controller, the driver is loaded but only disabled.
Now open properties for the Host Controller
Double left click on the Host Controller and under General Device Status check the enable box.
Left click “OK” to exit
Repeat for all USB Hubs that have the X if needed
This should enable the USB PORTS.
II. USB Driver is not installed
If the Universal Serial Bus controller is not located in the Device Manager. It must be added as new hardware. Since the USB Host is not appearing in the Control Panel USB may have been DISABLED in the BIOS
Step 1 : Confirm that the USB PORT is enabled in the BIOS
– Restart the computer
– Press the “Delete” Key to enter the BIOS Setup
– Go to the Integrated Peripherals
– Change OnBoard USB 2.0 Device from [ Disabled ]to[ Enabled ] use the PgDn or PgUp key
– Press “Esc” key to main menu then Save and Exit changes and restart Computer
Step 2: Windows should say that new hardware has been found
– Use the Add New Hardware Icon located in the Control Panel and follow the Wizard’s instructions
– If needed the USB drivers are located on the windows 98se CD. This CD is with the System and BIOS settings packet that was shipped with ect 48.
For other systems needing Win 2000 or XP USB 2.0 Drivers.
The Motherboard Drivers are located on the IEI Driver CD-5. This CD is with the System and BIOS settings packet that was shipped with ect 48.
Auto run this CD.
Select Drivers and Manual
Select SAGP CPU CARD
Select SAGP-815EV Drivers